Viewing and selling/letting properties during the COVID-19 pandemic

Are you still offering viewings during the coronavirus pandemic? 

All viewings are conducted on an appointment basis only and arranged in advance. This ensures that you, our staff and our residents are completely safe throughout the viewing process.

We can also offer virtual viewings and can walk you through each part of the apartments.

Will properties continue to be sold and let? 

In line with government guidelines, we are able to let and sell properties. Our on-site teams have been briefed on how to conduct move-ins safely whilst adhering to government and social distancing guidelines to protect you, our staff and our residents.

Tenure options

Can I rent a property? 

We offer a range of tenures throughout our 69 schemes, such as leasehold, rental and shared ownership. You are able to rent properties at over 50 of our schemes.

Is shared ownership available at MHA? 

Shared ownership is available at some of our housing with care schemes that already offer a leasehold option. If shared ownership is something that you would like to consider, please speak to one of our friendly team by either submitting an email enquiry or phoning us.

Age and care needs

How old do you have to be to live at an MHA scheme? 

The minimum age criteria vary across our schemes. However, at the majority of our MHA schemes, you must be at least 60 years old. If someone is buying an apartment on your behalf, they are not required to be at least 60 years old. However, the person occupying the apartment must be.

How does MHA assess whether you are suitable to live at an MHA scheme? 

MHA will always conduct care and financial assessments before accepting you into an MHA property. These assessments are always confidential and are in your interests as they ensure that you will be are safe and secure in our retirement living schemes, taking away any worries that you may have.

You may also be able to receive support from your local authority, should you have a low or limited income.

Extra charges

How do I find out about the service charges at the scheme I am interested in?  

Our key facts documents are available for each scheme and outline the amount you’ll pay for your service charge, which will differ depending on whether you are buying or renting. These documents are downloadable on each scheme page, or can be emailed or posted out to you should you enquire.

What is the service charge for and how much will I pay? 

The amount of service charge that you’ll pay is dependent on the scheme, though it covers the same elements throughout our schemes. The service charge is disclosed within our key facts documents for tenants and leaseholders, which are available on each of our scheme webpages and can be sent to you by email or post.

For further information on what the service charge includes, you can click on the service charge guides for leaseholders and tenants for more information about service charges.

What is the wellbeing service? 

MHA’s wellbeing service is available across our housing with care schemes and includes 24-hour staffing on-site or on-hand, help in an emergency and the co-ordination of an activities and events programme. Read more about our wellbeing service >

Do I need to pay ground rent? How much is it and how is it set? 

The ground rent is not part of the service charge. It is paid by owners only (so excludes rental properties) to the landlord either annually or in instalments.

The ground rent is defined in your lease and usually increases every five years by a set formula. If MHA are not your landlord but act as managing agents, we may collect the ground rent and pass it on to your landlord, although at some schemes it is payable directly to the landlord

Do I need to pay for my utilities? 

Utilities charges vary by scheme and are disclosed within our key facts documents for tenants and leaseholders, which are available on each of our scheme’s webpages and can be sent to you by email or post.

What costs are payable upon moving out of the property? 

The costs falling on leaseholders or owners include:

  • A Contingency Fund Contribution is payable on sale or a transfer of ownership. The Fund covers the costs of repairing or renewing communal areas, roofs, lifts, etc. The amount payable is based on the value of the property and will be calculated as set out in the specific ownership contract.
  • An Administration Fee is also payable to cover the legal costs that MHA incurs on resale.
  • The owner (or the owner’s estate) remain liable for paying all ongoing charges (e.g. the service charge, wellbeing charge, and ground rent) until the property is sold. They may also have to pay for any repairs and redecoration required by MHA to put the property in good order for re-sale.
  • Further information is available in the Key Facts documents for each retirement community.

 The costs falling on tenants include:

  • Tenants who give notice remain liable for paying all ongoing charges (e.g. the rent, service charge, and wellbeing charge) during the four-week notice period.
  • In England and Wales, the same liability will fall on a tenant’s estate if a tenant dies; in Scotland, all charges cease to be payable on death.
  • Tenants (or the tenant’s estate) may also have to pay for any repairs and redecoration required by MHA to put the property in good order for re-letting.
  • Further information is available in the Key Facts documents for each retirement community.

Additional services

What additional services do MHA offer? 

MHA offer a range of additional services across our retirement living schemes, including:

  • Personal care service, offering assistance with washing, dressing, medication assistance, etc.
  • A maintenance service, offering assistance with small jobs and repairs within a resident's own property
  • A domestic service, offering assistance with housework such as vacuuming, dusting, cleaning kitchens/bathrooms etc.

The services are chargeable in 15-minute intervals, differ across each scheme and are subject to staff availability. For more information on the charges for each service, you can consult the Key Facts documents for Leaseholders and Tenants for the scheme of your choice.


Are pets welcome at MHA's retirement living schemes?  

If you are thinking about moving to an MHA retirement living scheme and would like to bring a pet with you, you can apply to the Housing Manager for approval by using the Resident Application for Pet Ownership form.

This will be provided to you and approval will depend on a risk assessment conducted by a staff member. Please note that this is also down to the discretion of the Housing Manager.


Is MHA a member of any retirement living organisations?  

MHA is a member of The Associated Retirement Community Operators (ARCO), the main body representing the retirement community sector in the UK. MHA are Approved Operators under the ARCO Consumer Code, and we aim to comply with the Code’s requirements across the retirement living schemes that we have registered with ARCO. Read more about ARCO >

Retirement Living With MHA

Retirement Living With MHA

Our retirement living schemes across England, Scotland and Wales each have their own personalities, from large new developments with lots going on, to smaller, cosier schemes.

Find out more

Manage your cookie preferences

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience and provide additional functionality. Learn more about how we use cookies on this website.